Repairing and Maintaining Your Roof
Now that the weather is starting to cool down, it’s a good idea to take the time for important home maintenance. Getting your HVAC system serviced, checking your plumbing, and having maintenance done to your roof. Basically, any area that could be affected by cold or bad weather needs to be addressed before anything bad really does happen, such as a leak. If you are experiencing a roof leak, contact JAGG Premium Roof Systems. We can help with any roof leak repair in Indianapolis, IN when you need it. Call us at (317) 348-0180 to get started.
Signs You Have a Roof Leak
There is possibly no worse feeling than realizing there is a leak in your home. To avoid costly repairs and possible roof replacement needs, your best bet is to schedule regular Roof inspections. However, if you are unable to do that, there are several signs to pay attention to if you suspect a roof leak in your home.
- Dripping: One of the more obvious signs of a roof leak is a drip. Believe it or not, this doesn’t happen that often, but when it does, you need to have it addressed as quickly as possible.
- Water Stains: What may be more common are water stains or water spots. This will manifest as wet or brown spots on your ceiling. When do you notice this, you’ll want to have it addressed as soon as possible. Often, water is dripping down through rafters, which could be causing unseen amounts of damage.
- Mold or Algae: You may start noticing brown or black spots on your roof. This could be mold, mildew, or algae growths. This can happen when there are gaps in between the shingles. When mold occurs, there can be serious damages to your roof.
- Buckling, Curling, and Cracking: While you may not notice a roof leak, if you are noticing shingles that appear to be curling up off themselves, bubbling up, or buckling, you may already have a leak. Also look for cracked sealants along chimney and other protrusions, because leaks can also occur there.
- Rust: On every roof, there is something installed called flashing. This is usually around areas where the roof meets either another section of the roof or protrusions such as a chimney. Flashing is often metal and if you notice that it has begun to rust, you’ll want to replace it quickly. Otherwise, you may have a leak to deal with as well.
Once you notice a leak, you may be wondering what happens next. While you can go online and search for roof leak repair how-to videos, your best bet is to rely on a professional. Similar to how you would rely on a professional for a plumbing camera inspection. This is someone that can easily identify the problem and fix it, all without causing damage to the rest of your structure. For that, rely on JAGG Premium Roof Systems.
Roof Leak: Repair or Replace
The big question you may be wondering once a leak is found is should you invest in repairs or just replace the whole structure? That is a hard question to answer because repairs or replacements can’t be determined without a thorough inspection of the roof itself. This is often a dilemma homeowners have when they need roof leak repair in the winter.
Roof leak repair costs can be minimal or they can be pretty high depending on how much damage may or may not be present on the roof. If there is substantial damage to both the roofing material and the roof decking, then it may be more financially agreeable to invest in a complete replacement rather than repairs. To determine the condition of your roof, schedule a roof inspection with someone from JAGG Premium Roof Systems. We can go over your roof to find actual or potential problems and go over the steps for repairs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to repair a leaky roof?
- The cost to repair a leak can vary from as little as $150 to more than $1,000. It depends on how much damage was sustained by the leak. If there are a significant number of tiles damaged as well as a large portion of the roof decking, your costs are going to be substantial.
- Is a leaking roof covered by insurance?
- It will depend on what caused the leak in the first place. Every insurance carrier offers coverage for things called covered perils. If it is determined the leak was caused by a covered peril, then it may likely be covered by insurance. You’ll have to talk with your provider for more information about that.
- How do you fix a leaking roof?
- There are several approaches you can take to fix a leaking roof. What we recommend is purchasing a temporary patch kit and then contacting a reliable roofer to professionally complete the job. This will ensure all damaged areas are removed and a proper patch is in place to prevent future damage.
- Is a leaking roof an emergency?
- Yes, leaks should be considered emergency situations. When left alone or neglected, the leak can cause material deterioration, wood rot, mold and more. All of which can result in significant damages as well as serious health risks for you and your family.
- Is it normal for a new roof to leak?
- No, it isn’t normal. If a brand new roof is leaking, it could be because of poorly installed flashing or seal-work. These situations are often fairly easy to find and relatively inexpensive to repair.
Schedule an Appointment With Us Today for More
When you need a roof leak repair in Indianapolis, IN, look no further than JAGG Premium Roof Systems. We can help ensure your home is ready to go for the coming winter months. Dial (317) 348-0180 to set up an appointment.